GDPR Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy You need photo ID to vote | Voter ID | Rugby Borough Council

Voter ID

You need photo ID to vote

You need to show photographic ID at polling stations.

If you turn up at a polling station without an accepted form of photo ID, you cannot be issued with a ballot paper.

Accepted forms of photo ID include:

  • UK, European Economic Area (EEA) and Commonwealth passports
  • UK, EEA and Commonwealth drivers' licences
  • specified concessionary travel passes, including older person's bus pass

You can use expired ID if you're still recognisable from the photo.

However, you cannot use a photocopy or image of your ID.

If the name on your ID does not match the name you have registered to vote with, you can still use the ID providing you take evidence of the change of name, such as a marriage or civil partnership certificate, deed poll or decree absolute.

Visit the Electoral Commission website for a full list of accepted forms of photo ID

I have no photo ID. What do I need to do?

If you do not own an accepted form of photo ID, you can apply for a free Voter Authority Certificate either in person, by post or online via the Government website. 

Apply for a Voter Authority Certificate

Voter ID - postal and proxy votes

You do not need to show photo ID to apply for a postal or proxy vote (although the proxy needs to show photo ID at a polling station).

REMEMBER - you must be registered to vote in order to vote.



Is there anything wrong with this page?