Planning and enforcement
This privacy notice relates to Rugby Borough Council planning and enforcement services. It applies to information provided by post, email, telephone and online.
2. Privacy notice
2.1 The data controller
The data controller for the planning and enforcement service is:
Rugby Borough Council
Rugby CV21 2RR
We will store the data in our computer and manual record systems and restrict access according to relevant policies and procedures.
2.2 Personal data
The personal data we may hold includes: your name, address and contact details, signature, any payment details, along with any information you choose to give us.
We will use this data for the following purposes:
- To provide pre-application advice, if you request it;
- To process an application under the Town and Country Planning Act, the Town and Country Planning (Control of Advertisements) regulations, related enactments or regulations;
- To assess the need for any applicant-specific conditions, where relevant;
- To prevent or detect fraud or other crime;
- To enable an application to be determined at Appeal, where appropriate;
- To carry out enforcement activity related to our planning enforcement powers.
2.3 Legal basis
The processing is necessary so that we can carry out our planning and enforcement functions.
Where the processing is necessary to fulfil the council’s legal obligations, data protection law describes this legal basis as a legal obligation.
Where the processing is necessary to detect or prevent fraud or other crime, or in relation to our enforcement powers, data protection law describes this legal basis as necessary for performance of a public task, or in the public interest.
If you do not provide the information we ask for it may not be possible for us to consider your application or representations.
We may need to process Special Categories of personal information in order to assess any applicant-specific conditions. Where this is necessary, data protection law describes this exemption as being of substantial public interest.
We do not need your consent to collect or process your personal information. This is because we need the information in order to fulfil our legal obligations.
Rugby Borough Council may pass on your personal data to third parties for the purposes of detecting or preventing fraud or other crime, or if it is necessary to consider your application or representations. These organisations may include applicants and their agents, Warwickshire County Council, the Environment Agency, Historic England, Warwickshire Police, the Department of Work and Pensions, HMRC or any other organisation where we are required or permitted by law to share information.
Your records are held in a secure section of the council’s information management system and in the council’s planning case management system. We publish planning applications on our website and make other representations available for public inspection.
2.6 Retention period
Rugby Borough Council will process your personal data for as long as it takes to consider your application or representations, or for as long as it takes to complete our enforcement activity. The information may then be archived in the public interest.
2.7 Your rights as a data subject
You have the right:
- to request a copy of the information that we hold about you;
- to correct data that we hold about you that is inaccurate or incomplete;
- in certain circumstances you can ask for the data we hold about you to be erased from our records;
- where certain conditions apply to have a right to restrict the processing;
- in some circumstances, to have the data we hold about you transferred to another organisation;
- to object to certain types of processing such as direct marketing;
- to complain if we refuse a request you may make using these rights and you are not happy with our reason.
We may refer any request you may make using these rights to another organisation, if they have been involved in processing your personal data.
If you are unhappy about how we are handling your personal data you can complain to the Data Protection Officer. You can also complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office.
The details for each of these contacts are:
Data Protection Officer
Rugby Borough Council
Rugby CV21 2RR
Information Commissioner’s Office
Wilmslow SK9 5AF
3.0 More information
You can find more information about how we use personal information and your rights at www.rugby.gov.uk/privacy.
This notice was last updated on 29 May 2018.