Pre-application planning advice
We welcome pre-application discussions and we strongly encourage you to consult us before you submit a planning application. We offer an advice service on proposals, which can help you overcome issues which could impact on the success of your application.
It's not compulsory but it will make submitting your proposal easier. The advice can provide a useful steer on a proposal, leading to a better quality development and an increased chance of a quicker decision on the application.
We can also tell you whether your plans require planning permission or can be developed under permitted development rights. However, if you want a formal decision on whether something is permitted development you can apply for a Certificate of Lawfulness.
The benefits of pre-application enquiries and discussions include:
- saving time and resources for both the applicant and the borough council;
- raising the quality of development;
- speeding up the validation process;
- reducing the number of unsuccessful planning applications;
- identifying the need for specialist input earlier;
- provide enough information to support the subsequent application.
We give all pre-application advice in good faith on the basis of the information provided. However, the advice can only be given without prejudice to any decision the council may take on any subsequent planning application. Pre-application advice for householders and minor applications is free.
To request pre-application advice, contact us using the details below.