GDPR Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Housing advice after being discharged from hospital | Homelessness | Rugby Borough Council


Housing advice after being discharged from hospital

If you think you could be homeless after being discharged from hospital, you should raise your concerns with the hospital nursing staff at the first opportunity.

The hospital discharge team can offer you advice and, with your consent, can make a referral under the duty to refer.

View information about the duty to refer

Home adaptations

If you have a home but require adaptations to carry on living there, you'll be referred to our Home Environment Assessment and Response Team (HEART).

HEART offers advice and assistance to deliver disabled adaptations and home improvements to support you in staying in your home. A caseworker can assess your needs and provide tailored advice on home aids and adaptations.

Depending on your needs, HEART can arrange:

  • small adaptations or equipment such as bath boards, stair rails and small ramps
  • large adaptations such as stair lifts, level access showers and room conversions

HEART also may be able to arrange financial support for adaptations through our Disabled Facilities Grant.

If your home cannot be adapted, HEART can offer advice and support to identify suitable alternatives. HEART can also explore other options, such as supported or extra care housing.

Visit the HEART website on Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough's Council website

You can call HEART on 024 7637 6294 or email 

Other help on offer

  • Age UK, based in Rugby at the Claremont Centre in Clifton Road, offers a range of information and advice for older people. You can call the centre on (01788) 552540
  • ConnectWELL, funded by the NHS and delivered by Warwickshire CAVA, offers advice, support and activities to improve health and wellbeing. You can call ConnectWELL on (01788) 539572
  • Housing & Care 21 offers retirement and extra care housing for older people. You can call Housing & Care 21 on 0303 123 1622
  • Housing Care, a charity-run website, offers free advice and information on nursing homes, residential care homes, sheltered housing, extra care housing and retirement villages.

Is there anything wrong with this page?