GDPR Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Housing advice for armed forces veterans | Homelessness | Rugby Borough Council


Housing advice for armed forces veterans

If you're leaving the armed forces, or have served in the forces, you may be entitled to extra support if you become homeless.

We have signed up to the Armed Forces Covenant for Coventry, Solihull and Warwickshire, a commitment to treat members and former members of the armed forces with fairness and respect, and to ensure armed forces members, both past and present, face no disadvantages when trying to access public services.

When you contact our Community Advice and Support Team, we'll first decide whether you qualify for help under our general policy for individuals considered to be in priority need (for example, you have dependent children).

We'll also consider whether you're vulnerable and whether an issue, such as disability, mental health problems or addiction, impacts on your ability to secure housing for yourself.

Extra homelessness rules for the armed forces

When considering whether you're vulnerable and in priority need, you can support your case by showing your service with the armed forces has contributed to your vulnerability.

We'll consider:

  • how long you served with the armed forces and your role
  • if you spent time in a military hospital
  • if you were discharged from service on medical grounds (and have a Medical History Release Form)
  • if you have obtained and maintained accommodation since leaving the forces
  • the length of time you have left the service

Ask for help early

If you think you'll be homeless on leaving the armed forces, contact our Community Advice and Support team.

If you can provide a letter of discharge or other evidence which confirms the date of your discharge, we should accept your date of discharge as the date you become homeless. 

If you fail to contact us for help before your discharge, you may need to stay in your accommodation and wait for Defence Estates to evict you.

Defence Estates have to give you Notice to Vacate. A copy of the notice can support your homeless application.

Other help on offer

A number of organisatons offer housing advice and support for veterans:

  • The Shelter website has a range of information on housing for armed forces veterans, with links to a number of supporting organisations, including the Royal British Legion, the Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association (SSAFA) and Veterans Aid.

Is there anything wrong with this page?