- How we can help
- Your rights if homeless
- Housing advice for people affected by domestic abuse
- Housing advice for care leavers
- Housing advice for armed forces veterans
- Housing advice after being released from prison
- Housing advice for people with mental illness or impairment
- Housing advice after being discharged from hospital
- Facing eviction or having problems with a landlord?
- Finding private rented accommodation
- Duty to refer
- Advice for rough sleepers
Duty to refer
Public bodies specified in the Homelessness Reduction Act have a duty to refer consenting individuals believed to be homeless or at risk of homelessness within 56 days to our Community Advice and Support Team.
The duty to refer applies to the following public bodies:
- social services
- NHS services
- Job Centre Plus
- probation services (including community rehabilitation companies)
- youth offending teams
- youth offender institutions
- secure colleges and training centres
- The Secretary of State for Defence (in relation to members of the armed forces)
By referring individuals to us, public bodies can support our work to prevent and relieve homelessness.
Please note, organisations not subject to the duty to refer can still make referrals to us.
How to refer
Before making a referral, you must:
- have the consent of the individual(s) you intend to refer
- identify the housing authority in England the individual(s) wish to be referred to
- have the consent of the individual(s) for the housing authority to make contact following the referral
You can make a referral through ALERT.
ALERT supports partnership working by providing a secure and easy to use platform for making referrals and notifications, including the 213B duty placed on specified public bodies.
Referrals from the Department for Work and Pensions, including Job Centre Plus, can be made by completing our online form.
For cases already homeless or who have nowhere to stay tonight, call us on (01788) 533833 (9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday) or, out of office hours, on (01788) 579706.
Our Community Advice and Support Team contacts all referrals within five days and, if necessary, supports referrals to make a homeless application.