GDPR Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy What to do if your financial circumstances change | Your rent | Rugby Borough Council

Your rent

What to do if your financial circumstances change

If you receive housing benefit and your financial circumstances change, your housing benefit may be reduced or increased.

If your financial circumstances change, you must contact our benefits team immediately on (01788) 533433 or email

It can take time to adjust your housing benefit claim, which can result in you receiving benefit you're not entitled to.

You'll have to repay any overpayment in housing benefit in full. If you have been overpaid, you'll receive a letter stating the amount owed and how to repay it.

Universal Credit - are you ready?

Universal Credit has launched in Rugby. It's a new single benefit payment which currently only applies to newly unemployed single people, but will be extended to couples and families later this year.

Visit the Government's Universal Credit website for more information

Universal Credit replaces a number of benefits, including housing benefit. When you receive Universal Credit, you'll need to pay your rent out of single monthly benefit payment.

Need help?

If you're concerned about the switch to Universal Credit, we're here to help.

We can offer support and advice on:

  • preparing for and coping with Universal Credit
  • budgeting
  • opening a bank account and setting up a Direct Debit

Is there anything wrong with this page?