GDPR Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy What happens if I fall behind with my rent? | Your rent | Rugby Borough Council

Your rent

What happens if I fall behind with my rent?

We adopt a fair but firm approach to customers with rent arrears.

It's a condition of your tenancy agreement to pay your rent regularly and in full. Failure to do so means you're in breach of your tenancy agreement and we'll take action to collect the rent arrears.

If you contact us and reach an agreement over paying your arrears, we'll take court action if you break the agreement.

Download the council's Rent Arrears Policy

Notice of Possession

The legal process starts with the council serving you with a Notice of Seeking Possession. The notice states the council's intention to take you to court if you fail to pay your rent arrears in full or make satisfactory arrangements to pay the arrears within 28 days.

If you receive a Notice of Seeking Possession contact us immediately using the details below.

A notice remains valid for a year and we can apply to the county court for a hearing at any time during this period unless you clear your rent arrears in full.

Possession Order

If your case goes to court it's vital you attend the hearing to explain why you have not paid your rent. The court can issue the council with a Possession Order, allowing us to evict you. The order may be suspended to allow you stay in your home while paying your rent arrears according to terms set by the court.

Eviction Warrant

If you fail to keep to the terms set by the court, the council can apply for an Eviction Warrant and request the court bailiff to take possession of your home.

In these circumstances, Rugby Borough Council will not provide you with another home.

If we take you to court, the costs will be added to your rent arrears. So if you're struggling to pay your rent, contact us immediately.



Is there anything wrong with this page?