Apply for a council home

The Common Housing Register

Instead of different waiting lists, the council works with housing associations in Rugby to produce a Common Housing Register.

Eligible applicants only have to fill in one application form to be considered for housing by the council or a housing association operating in Rugby.

Who can join the Common Housing Register?

The council operates a waiting list system, with applicants at the top of the list offered vacant properties. A banding system determines the applicant's housing priority.

We review an applicant's housing priority when more than three offers of accommodation, deemed reasonable by the council, have been refused by the applicant.

If the review concludes the applicant had no justifiable reason to refuse the offers, we reduce the applicant's banding priority by one level (eg from band two to band three).

To apply for a council home, you need to contact our Community Advice and Support Team. The team currently offers drop-in sessions at the Town Hall from 10am to 12 noon and from 1pm to 3pm, Monday to Friday.

However, from Monday 6 August, you'll need to register with us via Housing Jigsaw, our new online housing portal.

View more information about the Housing Jigsaw portal

You can call the team on (01788) 533833 or email


Is there anything wrong with this page?