How to identify a genuine taxi or hackney carriage
Hackney carriage taxis
- Ordinary cars or London-style cabs.
- They are white in colour with a black and white chequered strip along the side.
- They have an illuminated roof "TAXI" sign and a yellow licence plate on the rear.
- Taxis are found on taxi ranks or driving around the streets where they can be hailed.
- They can also be pre-booked.
- All taxis have a meter with a fare chart which is displayed inside the vehicle.
- Some taxis can now carry passengers in wheelchairs.
Private hire taxis
- Are ordinary cars which are any colour except white. They have a green licence plate on the rear. They do not have any roof sign.
- Cars cannot be hailed in the street but must be booked by telephone or at the company's office.
- Not all private hire cars have meters. Fares are not set by the borough council.
Always check that the driver is displaying a light blue dual drivers licence.