This privacy notice relates to the Returning Officer's election staff, both the recruitment process and the maintenance of a database of temporary election staff. It applies to information provided by post, email, telephone and online.
The data controller
The data controller is:The Electoral Registration Officer and Returning Officer, Rugby Borough Council, Town Hall, Evreux Way, Rugby CV21 2RR, United Kingdom.
We will store the data in our electoral management and payroll systems and restrict access according to our data security policies.
The personal data we hold includes: your name, address and contact details, bank, tax, NI, details of your employment and employment history, training, details of any deductions, eligibility to work, car mileage and insurance details, usernames, passwords, online identifiers, access to systems and relevant personal circumstances.
We will use this data for the following purposes:
- to administer your job application
- to fulfil the our contractual obligations as your employer
- to fulfil our legal obligations as your employer
- to administer your employment in accordance with relevant employment policies and procedures
- to give you access to relevant premises, systems or processes or to allow you to do your job safely and efficiently
- to maintain a database of temporary election staff
The processing is necessary so that you can be employed and carry out your tasks in an efficient manner.
Where the processing is necessary for your employment, data protection law describes this legal basis as necessary for the performance of a contract.
Where the processing is necessary to fulfil our legal obligations, data protection law describes this legal basis as a legal obligation.
Where the processing is necessary to detect or prevent fraud or other crime, data protection law describes this legal basis as necessary for performance of a public task, or in the public interest.
Where the processing is necessaryto ensure you are able to carry out your tasks safely and efficiently, for example by giving you access to computer systems or by monitoring access to a premises, data protection law describes this legal basis as in the council’s legitimate interests.
If you do not provide the information we ask for it may not be possible for you to be employed.
We do not need your consent to collect or process your personal information. This is because we need the information in order for us to administer your employment or to fulfil our legal or contractual obligations.
We may pass on your personal data to third parties if it is necessary to administer your employment. These organisations may include Rugby Borough Council, Warwickshire County Council, the Department of Work and Pensions, HMRC, third party organisations contracted to undertake the collection of processing of the data collected, such as training, to ensure compliance with statutory obligations, other staff employed by the Returning Officer for election purposes, such as polling station inspectors, presiding officers and poll clerks, or any other organisation where we are required or permitted by law to share information.
Your records are held in a database, in a secure section of the our information management system, on our payroll and within our financial management system, all of which are held on secure servers on Rugby Borough Council’s network. Some records are held in secure manual storage.
We will process your personal data for as long as you are employed. Once you leave our employment, your employment information will be held for a further seven years when its retention will be reviewed. Where you apply for a post that does not lead to employment, we will keep your details for up to two years after you apply.
Your rights as a data subject
You have the right:
- to request a copy of the information that we hold about you;
- to correct data that we hold about you that is inaccurate or incomplete;
- in certain circumstances you can ask for the data we hold about you to be erased from our records;
- where certain conditions apply to have a right to restrict the processing;
- in some circumstances, to have the data we hold about you transferred to another organisation;
- to object to certain types of processing such as direct marketing;
- to complain if we refuse a request you may make using these rights and you are not happy with our reason.
We may refer any request you may make using these rights to another organisation, if they have been involved in processing your personal data.
If you are unhappy about how we are handling your personal data you can complain to the Information Commissioner's Office.Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow SK9 5AF, United Kingdom
You can find more information about how we use personal information and your rights at www.rugby.gov.uk/privacy.
This notice was last updated on 23 January 2019.