Apply for a proxy vote
- Apply for a proxy vote
- Apply for an emergency proxy vote
TO VOTE BY PROXY IN THE GENERAL ELECTION ON THURSDAY 12 DECEMBER 2019, YOU MUST APPLY BY 5PM ON WEDNESDAY 4 DECEMBER.
A proxy vote allows you to name someone to cast your vote for you (like a relative or close friend). You can apply for a proxy vote as long as you are on the electoral register. When you apply you have to provide a reason – such as if you are away on holiday or in hospital.
If you want a proxy vote for more than one election, you must have one of the following reasons.
- You have a physical disability
- You are away from home due to your job or you are on a course
- You have to travel by air or sea to get to your polling station
In all the above cases, except if you are registered blind, someone has to sign your application and say it is true, like your employer or doctor. After you have applied:
- The person voting for you must go to your polling station to vote. If they cannot get there they can apply for a postal vote.
- They will be sent a proxy poll card telling them which polling station they have to go to.
- You must let them know who you want them to vote for.
- If you are able to get to the polling station, you can vote as long as they have not already voted for you or applied for a postal vote.
You can apply for a proxy vote up to 6 working days before an election and you can change a proxy vote up to 11 working days before election day. If you are suddenly taken ill, you can apply to vote by proxy for medical reasons up until election day. All applications must be received before 5pm on the final day.