Who can claim Universal Credit

Who qualifies


If you live in postcode areas beginning CV21 1--, CV21 2--. CV21 3--, CV21 4--. CV21 9--, CV22 5--, CV22 6--, and CV22 7-- you may be able to claim for Universal Credit.

You must also meet the following criteria:

Personal circumstances

You and your partner must:

  • be a GB national and normally residents in the UK 
  • have a valid National Insurance number (excludes temporary NI numbers)
  • be between 18-years-old and one year from State Pension Credit age
  • have a bank, building society or Post Office card account in your name
  • not be homeless or in supported accommodation
  • not have more than £6,000 in savings and capital (either individually or jointly if a couple
  • not be pregnant
  • not have given birth within the last 15 weeks
  • not have responsibility for children (including adoption and fostering) or provide care for another person
  • not be required by the Child Maintenance Enforcement Commission to pay child maintenance
  • not have a fit not stating you're unable to work
  • not be in a period of self-certification awaiting a fit note
  • not be a company director or in a limited liability partnership
  • not be self-employed
  • not be in any form of education or training
  • not expect to start education or training in the next month
  • not expect to have net earnings (from employment) in the next month exceeding £330. Couples must not exceed net earnings of £525.

If you meet all the above criteria you may qualify for Universal Credit.

Is there anything wrong with this page?