GDPR Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Changes to your circumstances | Applying for housing benefit | Rugby Borough Council

Applying for housing benefit

Changes to your circumstances

If you're receiving housing benefit to help pay your rent, you must report any changes in your circumstances as soon as they occur. If you delay telling us, you will have to repay any money that has been overpaid to you. If you delay telling us about a change and your benefit goes up, you could lose money.

The following are examples of changes that you must tell us about:

  • Changes in the amount of money you or your partner receives. This could be from wages, other benefits, pensions, etc.
  • Changes in the amount of money received by anyone else who shares your home.
  • All changes to the household (ie people moving in, people moving out, baby being born, etc).
  • Changes to the amount of savings/capital you or your partner has.
  • You or your partner go into hospital for more than six weeks.
  • You or your partner become a student, or stop being a student.
  • You move to a different property to the one you claimed for. 

You can tell us about a change in your circumstances by completing our online form.

Is there anything wrong with this page?