If you don't pay your council tax bill


If we are unable to recover your council tax from you by another means, we can apply to a magistrate for a warrant committing you to prison. A warrant will be issued if the court is satisfied that the failure to pay is the result of wilful refusal or culpable neglect. The maximum period in prison is three months.

The court may decide to fix a term of imprisonment and postpone the warrant on certain terms, normally relating to the payment of the debt over a period of time.

Is there anything wrong with this page?