- Smelly bins
- Bin cleaning
You can help to prevent your bins getting smelly by taking the following steps:
- Wrap food waste in newspaper before placing it in your bin.
- Don't leave leftover food, or uneaten cat or dog food, uncovered and open to flies before it is put into your bin.
- Keep your bin out of direct sunlight and away from open windows or doors.
- Keep the bin lid completely shut to stop flies, maggots and smells.
- Compost as much as possible.
- During hot spells empty your kitchen caddy every 24-48 hours.
- Empty solids from nappies into your toilet before bagging and placing in your black bin. Consider using reusable nappies.
- Don't put un-bagged animal waste into your black bin.
- You can buy carbon filters that fit on to the inside lid of your bin to absorb smells. 'Odour Eater' foot insoles can be used in the same way.
- Regularly clean and disinfect your bins.