GDPR Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Questions about the service | Garden waste collection service | Rugby Borough Council

Garden waste collection service

Questions about the service

The following questions and answers have been compiled to help residents to understand the service and decide whether or not they would like to subscribe.

How do I sign up for the service?

You can sign up and pay online. Payment can be made by debit or credit card. Alternatively you can sign up and pay by phone by calling (01788) 533335. The fee must be paid in full when you sign up to the service.

How much does the service cost?

The service costs £40 per bin for the year, which runs from 1 April to 31 March with a short break at Christmas and New Year. There are no discounts or exemptions. You can sign up at any time, but the cost of the service will remain £40 and will expire in March.

What can go in the garden waste bin?

For up to date information see What goes in which bin?

Does the service operate all year?

The garden waste collection service is a fortnightly service, but will stop for a short period at Christmas and New Year.

How do I opt out?

You do not need to contact us to opt out of the service. If you do not subscribe, you will not receive a garden waste collection service. You can stop using the service at any time, but there are no refunds or discounts for part-year subscriptions.

How many bins can I have?

You can subscribe as many times as you wish. The charge will be £40 per bin for the year. If you already have more than one bin you do not have to subscribe for all of them, but we will only empty bins that display a valid permit.

How soon after paying will I receive a collection?

It can take up to two weeks for us to process your request, deliver your sticker and arrange your first collection. However, we will not empty your bin until you have stuck the sticker to it.

If I move house can I take my subscription with me?

No, when you move house the bins must be left at the property. All bins remain the property of Rugby Borough Council. The subscription will continue to the end of the subscription period and cannot be transferred to a new property or refunded.

My bin has been stolen or damaged, will you give me a new one?

Residents are responsible for the safe keeping of their bins and bin permits. However if they are lost, stolen or damaged we will repair or replace the bin and sticker free of charge.

Who owns the bins?

We will continue to own the bin. The service you are paying for is to have the bin emptied.

Can I keep my bin if I don’t want to pay for a collection service?

Yes. If you do not want to pay to have your garden waste collected then you can keep your bin but we will not empty it after your last scheduled collection day. If at a later date you choose to sign up for the service you can use your existing bin. The bin will remain our property and must not be used in connection with any trade or any other waste collection service.

Will you take garden waste placed in a container at the side of my bin?

Side waste is not collected and bin lids must be fully closed. If your bin is too heavy for the lifting mechanism on the lorry it will be left unemptied until you remove some of the contents.

What happens if my garden waste collection is missed?

If you placed your bin out at the correct time for collection and it was missed you should let us know. The collection crews record all bins that are not out for collection. In addition the vehicles have a camera system on them. If we missed your bin we will arrange to empty it within the next few working days. You must leave your bin accessible to the crew.

Can I line my bin with newspaper or bag my material up before putting it in the bin?

You can line your bin with newspaper but plastic bags are NOT acceptable in the green bins.

Is there anything wrong with this page?