Rugby Borough Council

Register Sign in

Council services by

or by most popular

Council Tax

View pages in this section

For the fifth year in a row, Rugby Borough Council has frozen its share of the council tax. Not only that, but this year we are returning three per cent of your council tax in the form of a one-off rebate.

Rugby Borough Council also collects council tax on behalf of Warwickshire County Council and the Office of the Warwickshire Police and Crime Commissioner. In 2014/15, both of these authorities increased their share of the council tax by 1.99 per cent.

Do I have to pay council tax?

Most dwellings are subject to council tax. There is only one bill per dwelling, whether it is a house, bungalow, flat, mobile home or houseboat, and whether it is owned or rented.

Council tax is not charged on exempt properties.

How much do I have to pay?

The full Council Tax assumes that there are two or more adults living in the property. If there is only one adult, or if the property is a second home, discounts are allowed on the Council Tax bill. There are also a number of people who are disregarded when we look at the number of adults who live in the property.

The full amount of Council tax is based on the property band into which your home falls. The bandings are determined by the Valuation Office Agency.

If you receive certain benefits, or your income is low, you may be able to get Council tax payments reduced by claiming Council Tax reduction.

Moving home?

If you have moved to a residence within Rugby Borough Council please notify us of your new address as soon as possible.

Change in circumstances?

You must notify us immediately if there is a change in your circumstances, such as change of address, name, other people moving in etc.

You can do this by visiting the Town Hall , telephoning us on 01788 533488 or by emailing us on

Council Tax


Tel: 01788 533488

Rugby Town Hall, Rugby, CV21 2RR